effective for creating
a well-defined jawline.

Dr.Choi

[Weekly People] Dr. Moon Sungjun, Elevating Trust in South Korean Healthcare

2019-07-25

A Patient-Centered Philosophy Based on Honesty

Raising the Trust in South Korean Healthcare

Dr. Moon Sungjun, Director of Lesarts Plastic Surgery 

The desire for beauty has continually evolved since the dawn of humanity, and with the improvement in living standards and changing perceptions of beauty, interest in appearance has steadily increased. According to a 2015 survey by Gallup Korea on appearance and plastic surgery, 66% of respondents believed that women could undergo plastic surgery for marriage. Reflecting this societal trend, the number of plastic surgery clinics in South Korea has increased exponentially. A simple search for “plastic surgery clinic” on the internet yields thousands of results. Additionally, media reports on the complications of plastic surgery sporadically resurface, heightening public anxiety. So, how can one choose a reliable clinic? Above all, the expertise and honesty of the medical professionals are paramount. Dr. Moon Sungjun, Director of Lesarts Plastic Surgery, states, “All medical practices should be based on honesty, allowing professionals to demonstrate their expertise. Exaggerating one’s skills or over-treating patients for financial gain is a disservice to patients, and one must be aware that such actions will inevitably have consequences.” 

A Commitment to Patient-Centered Care

To meet Dr. Moon, the Weekly People team visited Lesarts Plastic Surgery near Cheongdam Station. Upon entering the third-floor reception desk, the team was surprised. The calm interior and the subtle aroma of coffee created a unique atmosphere more reminiscent of a café than a typical plastic surgery clinic. Additionally, a professional barista was present in the clinic. The sixth floor, where Dr. Moon was met, had an interior that felt like an art gallery, which was particularly impressive.

“From the word ‘hospital,’ patients can feel it is a cold and frightening place. To reduce this aversion and approach patients more warmly, we considered an interior design akin to a café or gallery and employed a resident barista. Furthermore, our operating rooms use wooden-feel wallpaper and clean acrylic panels to create a cozy and warm atmosphere. Our goal is to ensure that patients remain as comfortable as possible until the moment the surgery begins, and this is how our clinic was designed.”

This patient-centered approach, combined with a dedication to maintaining high ethical standards in medical practice, exemplifies Dr. Moon’s philosophy and efforts to elevate trust in the field of plastic surgery in South Korea.  

40fdef21c8595f4f6ff280c227d7515e_1579248881_735.jpg 

Finding Optimal Beauty 

Dr. Moon Sungjun has always prioritized his patients, even in the smallest details. After obtaining his board certification in plastic surgery, he received advanced anti-aging techniques from renowned experts in France and Switzerland. He currently specializes in anti-aging and lifting surgeries, with a particular focus on facial balancing. Facial balancing aims to enhance a person's natural features and achieve harmonious beauty without compromising individuality.

"A plastic surgeon is not just a technician in the field of aesthetics; they are a scientist and, ultimately, a comprehensive artist. The human face is most beautiful when it is well-balanced, retaining the individual's unique characteristics and achieving natural harmony. Therefore, I consider each patient a unique work of art and strive to maximize their value and strengths."

During the interview, Dr. Moon consistently emphasized meticulous aftercare, precise diagnostics, and the elimination of excessive treatments. His commitment to charging the same fees for foreigners as for locals stems from his principle of honesty, which guides his professional and personal life. Perhaps it is this belief that attracts patients from all over the country and beyond. At the time of the interview, patients from Japan, China, and Thailand were also seeking treatment at Lesarts Plastic Surgery.

Based on Honesty 

As the number of plastic surgeries increases, so do the reports of complications. According to the Korea Consumer Agency, there were 214 cases of plastic surgery-related complaints between 2013 and 2014, with 68.7% being complications. Dr. Moon expresses concern over these issues and emphasizes the ethical responsibility of medical professionals.

40fdef21c8595f4f6ff280c227d7515e_1579248920_7129.jpg 

"Although it is for cosmetic purposes, plastic surgery is a medical practice. Medical treatment is an act of human compassion. Surgery, being a human endeavor, can sometimes lead to complications. If a complication occurs, it is essential to acknowledge it promptly, calm the patient, and take responsibility until the issue is resolved. This is the duty of a medical professional. I also emphasize honesty to my staff. We strive for honest and thorough communication with patients, avoiding any form of excessive treatment. My mother once told me, 'If you can't find a way, confront it head-on.' This has become my motto. Though I still have much to learn, I strive every day to pursue the right path and live by my motto."

Dr. Moon's sincerity was evident to the interviewers. His genuine and honest nature shines through, even in his international endeavors.

Raising Trust in South Korean Healthcare 

From December 2017 to April 2018, Dr. Moon appeared as the sole plastic surgery expert on the Thai reality show "Diva Makeover," aired on a major Thai channel. The show aimed to help talented singers who were not recognized for their appearance. It garnered high ratings, ranking first in entertainment viewership for six consecutive weeks. Unlike typical makeover shows, Dr. Moon engaged with participants through various activities, including cooking, dancing, walking, and life counseling, presenting a refreshing image of a non-authoritarian doctor to the Thai audience.

40fdef21c8595f4f6ff280c227d7515e_1579248944_791.jpg 

Ten Thai contestants underwent surgery and procedures at Dr. Moon's clinic, and all of them, not just the winners, signed contracts with entertainment agencies and are now active in the industry. Dr. Moon was also appointed as an honorary professor at Thailand's prestigious Thammasat University, where he gives special lectures quarterly. Even a year after the show's conclusion, he continues to stay in touch with the participants, which has further enhanced his reputation in Thailand. This has prompted a critical reflection on the authoritarian attitudes of Thai doctors.

"Through this program, I was able to promote the excellence of Korean healthcare and enhance its trustworthiness. Although it was challenging, it was a rewarding experience. I hope to continue serving as an ambassador to elevate the overall trust in Korean medical practices. If this contributes even a little to the future of our medical field, which is currently a red ocean, I will feel immensely gratified."

Dr. Moon Sungjun remains steadfast in his beliefs. <Weekly People> hopes that his talents and aspirations will inspire positive change throughout society.

Excerpt from Weekly People interview